Skip To Main Content

PPRA-Protection of Pupil Rights Amendments

PPRA affords parents certain rights regarding our conduct of surveys, collection and use of information for marketing purposes, and certain physical exams. These include the right to:

These rights transfer from the parents to a student who is 18 years old or an emancipated minor under State law.

The School District has developed and adopted policies in consultation with parents, regarding these rights as well as arrangements to protect student privacy in the administration of protected information surveys, and the collection, disclosure, or use of personal information for marketing, sales, or other distribution purposes. The School District will directly notify parents of these policies at least annually at the start of each school year and after any substantive changes. The School District will directly notify, such as through U.S. Mail or email, parents of students who are scheduled to participate in the specific activities or surveys noted below and will provide an opportunity for the parent to opt his or her child out of participation of the specific activity or survey. The School District will make this notification to parents at the beginning of the school year if the District has identified the specific or approximate dates of the activities or surveys at this time. For surveys and activities scheduled after the school year starts, parents will be provided reasonable notification of the planned activities and surveys listed below and to provide an opportunity to opt their child out of school activities and surveys. Parents will also be provided with an opportunity to review any pertinent surveys. Following is a list of the specific activities and surveys covered under this requirement:

  • Collection, disclosure, or use of personal information for marketing, sales or other distribution.

  • Administration of any protected information survey not funded in whole or in part by ED.

  • Any non-emergency, invasive physical examination or screening as described above.

Parents who believe their rights have been violated may file a complaint with: 

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW