Proficiency Based Promotion
The Owasso Public Schools has established a Proficiency Based Promotion (PBP) program in order to maximize academic growth opportunities for qualifying students in grades K-12. House Bill 1017 specifies the parameters for this program and allows students who are currently enrolled in the district the opportunity to accelerate their educational track by demonstrating proficiency in one or more curriculum areas.
Elementary PBP testing levels include 1st through 5th grades. Full grade promotion is dependent upon the student scoring at or above a 90% level on BOTH a Math and a Language Arts assessment. 1st grade testing is only approved for students who are age 6 on or before September 1 of the current school year per Oklahoma Statute 70 O.S 11-103. Subject area promotion is available for Math, Language Arts, Science, and Social Studies with a score of 90% or above on the appropriate test.
Middle School PBP testing levels include 6th through 8th grades. Full grade promotion is dependent upon the student scoring at or above a 90% level on each of FOUR assessments; Math, Language Arts, Science, Social Studies. Subject area promotion is dependent upon the student scoring at or above a 90% level on the corresponding subject area assessment.
High School PBP testing levels include 9th through 12th grades. Students must score at or above a 90% in order to receive high school credit for the tested subject area. Credit earned through PBP testing will be recorded on a student’s transcript with a letter grade of A. No record of unsuccessful attempts will be maintained in a student’s permanent record.
6th through 12th grade PBP assessments will be administered on-line while 1st through 5th grade assessments will be administered using paper and pencil. Most exams are multiple choice. However, some subject areas may have additional or different requirements. For additional information, testing dates, times and locations, please contact your student’s counselor.
*Applications are available through links at the bottom of this page.
THINGS TO CONSIDER BEFORE APPLYING
- Proficiency Based Promotion tests are NOT diagnostic tools.
- Tests are intended to be rigorous and demanding at a grade level ABOVE the level your child has already completed.
- Tests take approximately 1 to 1 ½ hours per subject area. 6th through 12th grade tests will be taken on-line. 1st through 5th grade tests will be administered with paper and pencil.
- Language Arts tests include multiple choice sections and MAY include writing sections as well. (Requirements are determined by grade level)
- No assistance may be given during test sessions.
- Parents/Guardians are NOT allowed in the testing room.
- Parents/Guardians should visit with their student’s school counselor about the appropriateness and the projected outcomes of PBP testing prior to completing the application process.