We acknowledge that our families would like to have an option to have their child stay at home during this pandemic and continue to be a part of Owasso Public Schools, therefore we are expanding our full-time virtual learning program for the 2020-2021 school year. We will evaluate the K-8 virtual learning program during this school year and make a determination whether it will continue for the following school year.
This virtual learning option will serve students in grades K-12 and brings online learning home by providing students the ability to receive their education through a virtual learning format, while also receiving assistance from certified, highly qualified teachers. This full-time option allows students to complete 100% of their coursework online. This is an ideal option for students who prefer a smaller learning environment, one-on-one communication with teachers, and the ability to choose when and where they work on their courses. Parents of students with disabilities on a Section 504 Accommodation Plan or on an Individualized Education Program (IEP) will want to meet (in-person or virtually) with their school’s team to determine which virtual program is the best placement for their student.
Because all of these processes are new to families, the decision has been made to allow families to review their decisions each nine weeks and make one change per semester. For example, if a family chooses full-time virtual learning to start the year, the family could move to face-to-face learning at the 9-week mark or at the start of the second semester.
Students can choose when and where they will log in, as virtual education is accessible all day, every day, wherever students have access to the internet.
Students will utilize school-issued Chromebooks to complete assignments. Online learners are required to meet weekly with their teachers to discuss progress, whether through a phone call, email, or virtual setting.
Since virtual learning instruction makes one-on-one learning possible, the student may accelerate the pace of classes to meet their needs. All courses keep students on track to graduate.
Online curriculum for grades 6-12 includes all core subjects: English, social studies, math, and science, as well as a variety of elective courses, such as computer applications, career planning, and health. These students may also be able to participate in unique elective courses such as band or choir and the extracurricular programs associated with them. Curriculum is aligned with Oklahoma Academic Standards and delivered through a content management system called Edgenuity. This system allows students to progress through each course at their own pace, place, and time.
Online curriculum for grades K-5 is also aligned to Oklahoma Academic Standards and includes English, social studies, math, science, and interactive courses like music and health. Grade level courses will be monitored by certified teachers utilizing a content management system called Acellus. This system allows students to progress independently through each course at their own pace, place, and time. iStation, BrainPop, and other digital resources will be employed based on student needs. Students who are in the Gifted Program will have the opportunity for accelerated and individualized learning.
Parents interested in enrolling their child in this program are encouraged to complete the steps below:
- Review district enrollment information to ensure you receive “infosnap” code information. The infosnap code is required for all new and returning students
- Please click on this link to complete district registration and residency verification for each of your children
- Review the expectations for families
- Review FAQs for additional information
- Complete the online form (Enrollments will be accepted through 7:00 P.M. Monday, 8/3/20 for the Fall semester)
- Grades K-5 / ENROLLMENT FOR VIRTUAL LEARNING HAS NOW ENDED
- Grades 6-12 / ENROLLMENT FOR VIRTUAL LEARNING HAS NOW ENDED
Should you have any questions, please contact the Teaching & Learning team at 918-272-8182
- You will receive communication from the virtual learning administrators with important information about:
- The back-to-school orientation meeting with families (required)
- The first day of school
- The courses your child will be enrolled in
- The curriculum management system your child will use to access their courses
- Other information that will assist with your child’s transition to virtual learning
- Should you have any questions, please contact the Teaching & Learning team at 918-272-8182